KCTCS Employee Onboarding
Onboarding at KCTCS is an initiative targeting new employees, which seeks to help them perform more effectively in their jobs, with a closer connection to KCTCS' unique culture and way of doing things. Beyond the traditional new employee orientation the onboarding program will include a series of trainings and shared information over an employee's first year, aiming to bring the newest employees up to speed efficiently at KCTCS.
This KCTCS Employee Onboarding introduction training will provide an overview of helpful and "need to know" information as you begin your career with KCTCS.
- Recognize key benefits provided by KCTCS
- Find KCTCS web tools and resources
- Locate and identify policy information
- Utilize the KCTCS Intranet System resource
To successfully complete this training and access the certificate, you will need to earn an 80% on assessments.
We hope to help you "find your path" at KCTCS!
Helping you Find Your Path . . .
The Pathfinder Story
The old ones speak of the Pathfinder as a traveler of great wisdom and curiosity. They say he is a seeker, a giver of truth and a source of strength. His pioneer spirit runs through the blood of every Kentuckian and his timeless presence continues to guide and pave the way for any traveler journeying to new and unfamiliar destinations.
The Pathfinder has seen many changes over the decades. The challenges facing the travelers he seeks to guide today are vastly different than those of the early settlers who came to this great land to seek fortune and a new way of life. While these explorers have the same goals as their forefathers, they face a very different journey…one requiring education and training. With the Pathfinder's assistance they are able to focus on an educational destination, find a clear path to a degree or credential and have the confidence, endurance and strength needed to complete their journey.
KCTCS has 16 colleges located on more than 70 campuses across the state.
KCTCS Strategic Plan
Why we do what we do?
KCTCS Vision, Mission and Values
- At KCTCS, our vision is to be the nation's premier community and technical college system.
- In everything we do, our mission is to improve the quality of life and employability of the citizens of the Commonwealth by serving as the primary provider of:
- College and Workforce Readiness
- Transfer Education
- Workforce Education and Training
- When we say "Higher Education Begins Here," we take it seriously. KCTCS has been given great responsibility for the prosperity and well-being of all Kentuckians. Our values reflect that, and include:
- Responsiveness to students, employers, and communities
- Access with innovative and flexible delivery
- Trust, respect, and open communication
- Continuous improvement
- Inclusion, multiculturalism, and engagement
How your role/work fits in
The Path to . . . paperwork
Could be paper or online - Did you complete these yet?
- Onboarding forms like emergency contact form, policy sign offs
- Payroll forms like direct deposit, Social Security card and taxes
- I-9 - employment eligibility verification with supporting documentation
The Path to . . . Mandatory trainings
All KCTCS employees are required to complete annual awareness and prevention training as a condition of employment. In an effort to maintain an environment free of discrimination and harassment, mandatory trainings on these topics along with specific policy review and acknowledgment are required.
As a new hire you will receive an email directing you to complete these trainings within the first few days of employment. Additional trainings may be required depending on your status (i.e. Maintenance will have OSHA related trainings as part of their required training package). You can find your required trainings at https://mypath.kctcs.edu under the Compliance button.
Your compliance page will list your trainings, your progress, completion dates, etc.
Please be aware that your mandatory trainings will have a firm deadline listed on your page and will be noted on the communications to you. Employees who fail to complete the training/retraining will be subject to disciplinary action possibly including termination of employment without notice or warning.
The Path to Your Perks . . . Time Off Benefits
KCTCS has designated specific days as official recurring holidays. Eligible employees are entitled to take these days off with pay. In some instances, however, it may be required that "essential personnel" report to work on these days, especially in departments and offices in which continuous and essential services are required. Below is a list of designated holidays:
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Presidential Election Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Day after Thanksgiving
- Martin Luther King Day
- President's Day
- Good Friday (1/2 day)
- Memorial Day
- Institutional closing days are planned days for the purpose of scheduled maintenance and other purposes. Typically, the institutional closing falls during the Christmas and New Year's holidays; however, other institutional closing days may be granted by action of the Board of Regents or KCTCS President.
- https://employees.kctcs.edu/HumanResources/holiday - schedule
- In addition to holidays and institutional closing days, it may also become necessary for KCTCS locations to be closed due to emergency situations, such as inclement weather, power outages, or other crises. Emergency situations could entail a full day, partial day, or may be a delay in the starting or closing times. It also may be required that "essential personnel" report to work on these days, especially in departments and offices in which continuous and essential services are required. Employees can find the local inclement weather procedure in your Human Resources office.
Vacation and Sick Leave
Staff and Faculty accrue vacation and sick leave differently. These differences are explained below.
Staff Vacation Leave
- Vacation leave accrues on the 15th of each month
- The maximum number of vacation days allowed to be accrued is 40 days.
- KCTCS Administrative Policies & Procedures - 184.108.40.206
- Regular Faculty are granted 22 days of vacation leave annually
- Faculty vacation will not be carried year-to-year without prior written authorization.
- KCTCS Administrative Policies & Procedures - 220.127.116.11
Staff Temporary Disability (Sick) Leave
- Paid temporary disability leave (sick leave) accrues at the rate of one day (7.5 hours) per month.
- Accrues on the 15th of each month
- KCTCS Administrative Policies & Procedures - 2.14.2
Faculty Temporary Disability (Sick) Leave
- After 3 months of employment, Faculty may be absent up to 5 continuous working days with pay within a 6 month period . . .
- Because of personal illness or injury, or
- For the purpose of tending to a serious illness suffered by an immediate family member.
- Faculty who are totally disabled for longer than 5 working days may apply for up to 30 calendar days of sick leave with pay not to exceed a maximum of 6 months
- KCTCS Administrative Policies & Procedures - 2.14.2
The Path to More Perks . . . Health Benefits
Health Benefits Health Care Flexible Spending Account
- The Health Care Flexible Spending Account (HC-FSA) is an IRS approved account that allows you to set aside money for eligible medical care expenses such a co-pays, deductibles and prescriptions. You are eligible to contribute to a HC-FSA if you are a full-time or regular ¾ time employee. Contributions to your HC-FSA account will automatically be payroll deducted from your paycheck on a pre-tax basis.
- Chard Snyder and Associates is the HC-FSA carrier.
- Participation in a KCTCS retirement plan is a condition of employment.
- Employees must enroll in the first thirty (30) days of employment.
- Employees enroll in a Defined Contribution Plan (403 B).
- Employees contribute 5%, the employer match is 10%.
- Current providers are TIAA-Cref, Voya, American Century, Fidelity.
- Vesting in the Defined Contribution Plan is as follows:
- Employee Portion - Immediate
- Employer Portion - 5 years
*Supplemental Retirement plan are available to employees.
Dental and Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance
- Various plan choices available.
- Competitive monthly rates.
- 100% paid by the employee.
Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance
- Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance is provided in the amount of $20,000.00 at no cost to the employee.
- Employee has the option to purchase addition coverage for self, spouse and children.
Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
Help with personal needs or issues so you can get your work done
- Available for up to 18 credit hours per year (6 spring, 6 summer, 6 fall) per employee.
- Employees may attend any KY public postsecondary institution.
- Spouse and eligible children (as defined by Federal Financial Aid guidelines) may attend any KCTCS institution.
Discounts and incentives are available to KCTCS employees from a variety of vendors, parks and zoos.
A Different Path...Where to find Info
- Internally facing to KCTCS Employees
- Web based; accessible from anywhere (log in credentials required)
- Link can be found on faculty and staff page (among other places)
MyPath is available to all employees and current students. This site provides a collection of links to all the enterprise systems and services in one location. Based on your role you will get personalized messaging for each of the systems and for many of the systems they are Single Sign-On enabled! This means by selecting the tile for that system you will be taken to that system already signed in! This is a major first step towards simplifying your digital workplace experience.
- The KCTCS Policy Manual has been prepared to inform you of KCTCS employment practices and policies, as well as benefits provided.
- It is every employee's responsibility to read and understand current KCTCS policies
The Path to you (well, your personal information)
- Access to personal information, leave balances, paychecks, forms, policies, business procedures (including travel reimbursements) etc.
- Access Peoplesoft with myPath or at https://kctcshr.kct.mycmsc.com/psp/kcthrprd/?cmd=login
Your landing page for access to your personal contact information, your PPE (review) document for staff, benefits (for open enrollment purposes), and importantly payroll information.
Under Payroll, you will find important links to: report absences, check your vacation and sick balances, review tax information, and setup direct deposit.
Online Scavenger Hunt
KCTCS Intranet - https://employees.kctcs.edu
The Path to...Learning the Technology
TLC - Training and Learning Center Self Help
Easily accessed from Intranet -https://kctcs.sharepoint.com/sites/tlc/Pages/Home.aspx
One stop shop for Technology support - including:
- Tutorials and reference materials for software and applications
- Communication center - updates about issues and outages
- Help desk support - submit ticket for assistance
The Path to...Payday!!
- Pay cycle - we are paid in arrears:
- Hours worked the 1st through the 15th will be paid on the 30th.
- Hours worked the 16th through the 31st will be paid on the 15th of the following month.
Non exempt employees will find their timesheets on their PeopleSoft Self Service home page. The Payroll tab will provide you access to your timesheet, leave accruals, tax information, direct deposit, paychecks, etc.
Non exempt employees will enter their absence requests on their timesheet entries.
Exempt employees will have enter absence requests under the Payroll tab.
The Path to... Professional Development
(OPDI) Office for Professional Development and Innovation
The Office for Professional Development and Innovation (OPDI) has been charged with coordinating an enterprise approach for training and professional development on KCTCS system level topics enterprise-wide
- Regional Institutes, Online webinars and conferences, Innovative Educator Academy, Leading Educator Academy, Talent Development Academies
Sessions are offered throughout the year. Watch your email for registration information.
Planning Your Path . . . Your Performance Review Performance Planning Evaluation (PPE)
- Employee tool
- Provides a "roadmap" of duties and expectations for the year
- Supervisory tool
- Promotes conversation between the supervisor and the employee
- Establishes the job expectations and responsibilities for the evaluation year
- 5 rating categories
- Process contains 3 parts:
- Planning Phase
- Mid-Year Review
- Final - Performance Evaluation Process
- PPE documents can be found on your Peoplesoft Employee Self Service home page under the Performance tab.
Staying on Path . . . Attendance/Work Hours
Work Schedule = 37.5 hours a week distributed over 5 consecutive work days
Meal Periods and Rest Periods will be discussed with you by your supervisor and/or your Human Resources department.
KCTCS Administrative Policies & Procedures – 2.19
Safe Pathways . . .Safety & Security
Safety Notification Alert Process
- Minutes Matter — Get SNAP Messages Quickly by E-mail, Text or Call: SNAP is the official Safety Notification Alert Process for the Kentucky Community and Technical College System (KCTCS). SNAP alerts users to on-campus emergencies and college closings or delays for all 16 KCTCS colleges and the System office. Find out if classes are cancelled or delayed due to weather, power outages or other unexpected events impacting campus. Get severe weather notifications so you can take shelter when a storm hits. Receive emergency messages when something or someone could be a threat to your personal safety.
- Your preferred phone numbers or e-mail addresses entered into the KCTCS Self-Service Employee Information Center will also be used for SNAP messages during an emergency at the college where you are enrolled or employed.
- By making changes at http://kctcs.edu/snap, you may also choose to receive messages on cell phones, voicemail and text messaging. Signing up for multiple ways of receiving SNAP messages can allow you to get information more quickly. Please advise students to do the same.
Do You Remember?
Glad you have joined KCTCS!
Be sure to follow up with your HR representative to complete all necessary paperwork and benefit enrollment items.
Continue your Path to Success . . .
You have completed this training.
Fill in the form below to access your certificate. If you did not meet the minimum 80% requirement, you may retake the assessments.